Friday, September 27, 2013

how to ruin a perfectly fabulous trip to San Francisco

                                               
{At the Oakland Raiders game.}

The hubs and I just celebrated our 5th wedding anniversary (yay!). So, trying to step up and be the coolest wife ever, I bought him second-row-from-the-field Oakland Raiders tickets. (Side note: I am not a Raiders fan, I like the Seahawks and my team is the NY Football Giants, but I am trying to be a good wife.)  Anyhow, the game we attended fell on the weekend immediately after our anniversary. The hubs and I were running late, as we usually are, and by the time we get there the stadium parking is full. (Side note #2: How are you going to build a stadium that barely fits ANY cars! The game was not even close to being sold out!) So we drive around for about 20 minutes looking for parking that we don't have to pay $30 for and decide on the free overflow parking that the stadium suggests. 

I go to grab my bag and the hubs tells me that I can't bring my bag in. Apparently this past year the NFL implemented a new bag policy where you can not bring a bag into the stadium unless it is a clutch or clear. Let's be honest here, where does one even buy a clear plastic purse anymore??? Need a diaper bag, oh... that has to be clear too. Really NFL? Really??? A little peeved, I remove my drivers license and check card from my wallet and lock it into the glove box. I hide my empty bag, which happens to be this really cool black nylon cross-body diaper bag that I JUST got, underneath the seat, and throw my camera into the glove box. We walk over to the game.

                                      
{After the game.}

The game was pretty fun. The crowd is a little rowdy, but the Raiders won. I even made the comment that even though I am in no way, shape, or form, a Raider's fan, I wouldn't mind going to another game. Plus, you have to appreciate a team that has such devout fans. 

Well, that thought faded pretty darn fast.

We got back to our car, unlocked the door, and got in. I noticed that my glove box handle was broken, and the hubs; a Ford guy, started cracking the typical Chevy's-are-a-piece-of-crap jokes. I went to grab my bag from under the seat and it was gone. I open the center console; camera, gone. Oh yeah, my wallet, gone too.  Some ass-hat broke into our car and stole my stuff. 

I was mad, sad, and feeling slightly violated. My wallet really had nothing in it except for pictures and $4 cash and my bag, albeit new, was empty except for some strawberry hand lotion, lip balm, and hand sanitizer. The camera was an outdated point-and-shoot. What makes me the most mad, I wish my SD card from the camera was left behind... Those are my memories, what I would give to at least get that SD card back.

This is why A) I will never go to another NFL game until the bag policy changes again and B) one of the reasons why the Oakland Raiders and their fans have such a negative rep.  Occurrences like this just put a really ill taste in your mouth and really put a damper on something that is supposed to be really fun.


{Our view from our room, night & day.}
We had booked a hotel for the night in San Francisco for after the game and we almost just went home as we were feeling pretty defeated. Luckily we went to the city and stayed in an amazing place. Hotel Nikko is situated around Union Square and so graciously upgraded us to a suite in one of their Imperial rooms on the second to the top floor. The room was amazing as was the views. We will definitely be staying here again. We ended up walking around Union Square and bringing pizza back to our room that night. The only thing that kept the whole anniversary trip from being ruined was the hotel. Thank you Hotel Nikko for salvaging a pretty awful situation!

The next day was definitely better, we went to the Ferry Building Marketplace and picked up some great things from the Miette bakery and from Sur la Table and headed home to be reunited with B. That evening B started his very first day of tot soccer, which I will post about later. :)

{Us at the marketplace... Happy Anniversary to us!}

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS